I recently experienced a massive failure in a global talent mobility program. How can this be true you ask when we live in a world where great talent is critical to business success? Because we get comfortable. Which is why I encourage fellow talent professionals to consider adding a review of your talent mobility program to your summer checklist?
Often we put away our winter clothes and pull out summer clothes this time of year. Which is why we absolutely should take the time to pull out all the vendors in our ecosystem to review them as we would our summer wardrobes?
Ask ourselves the difficult questions:
Do they still fit my talent acquisition objectives?
Are they current with the times?
Do they allow me to realize goals?
I know, I know. You are thinking, oh no, I’ve invested countless hours to establish these relationships, these rates and the overwhelming task of re-establishing them sounds daunting. Don’t fear. It may not be necessary to re-establish vendors. In many cases, it may just require re-negotiations or real time adjustments and feedback sessions that are in alignment with your talent management programs.
Talent Mobility Checklist
- Review quantitative surveys from past 12-18 months from vendors
- Review qualitative data
- Check in with current mobility clients and ask them about from past 12-18 months from vendors
- Reach out to employees who have left the organization in the past 6 months who had mobility packages and interview them yourself or a trusted delegate
- Call your mobility coordinators yourself to assess if they pick up the phone and/or how long they take to respond back to you? their experiences to better understand any areas they have opportunities for process or vendor refinement
- Review the approach your vendors are taking with issues and their resolution
- Check in with spouses or domestic partners of a cohort of recent mobility clients to gather spousal feedback on the programs
- Look at industry data and compare against your programs to assess gaps and/or opportunity areas
- Review financials with your vendors for the past few years to bench against industry rates to ensure you are in alignment and/or where you see opportunities
- Test out a mobility experience yourself from start to finish to live the entire experience as if you were your own talent